Note: This page was originally developed by Professor Sanjoy Bandopadhyay for the Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University where he started working as Ustad Allauddin Khan Chair Professor in May 2001.
It is highly recommended that all Research Scholars should browse through the following links. They may find some of the links useful.
- Read on How to choose a Ph.D. topic’.
- RBU Guidelines for Research Proposal writing under Ph.D. programme.
- Thesis Template of Shodhganga [UGC-INFLIBNET]
- Some CEC-UGC Lecture Videos on Research Methodology
- Introduction to Research
- Support for Statistical Work VissarStats: Statistical Computation Web Site
Some software for use in researches [language: English]
- QDA Miner is a Qualitative Data Analysis software. The QDA Miner Lite version is a freeware.
- Using the QDA-Miner Lite, the CAQDAS [by Sanjoy Bandopadhyay]
- Aquad 7, an open source Qualitative Data Analysis software.
- NVivo 10 a Qualitative Research Data Analysis Software [used in different research institutes including Yale University, Cornell University and others]. There are alternative options too. You may like to go through the article on Choosing an Appropriate CAQDAS Package published by University of Surrey, UK.
- Zotero a Referencing software [Free] [used very extensively by Internet researchers]
- MuseScore is a Free and open source music notation software . You can use this to replace commercial software like Sibelius or Finale.
- PRAAT is a powerful audio analysis software [free/open source]. This is widely used in many famous audio labs around the world including MIT Media lab.
- SurveyMonkey can be used for free as online survey tool for limited data.
- Typing and referencing in Bengali and Hindi: The scholars may like to download a patch Indic IME Transliteration and install in the computer. With this your OS will be ready to take Bengali and Hindi. Now you can use the functions available in software like MS Word in referencing which is very important for research articles.
- VissarStats: Statistical Computation Web Site
Research Support Links
Some Helpful Guides
- Perdue Writing Lab
- Prewriting – Invention [Purdue]
- On taking Interview
- Internet Research-I
- Internet Research – II
- Chicago Manual of Style [Quick Guide]
- APA style guide outlines
- Research & Writing Manual
- Outlines of Critical Review
- Learning Qualitative Data Analysis on the web
- Keeping a Research Journal and other tips
For many more tips visit Perdue Writing Lab
For further reading on Non-quantified Research Models
A collection of Sanskrit texts through Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts
Some more online resources
Here are a handful of great archival and documentary film resources in ethnomusicology/visual anthropology/folklore, etc:
- ‘ShodhGanga’, an Indian Thesis Database. Check for open-source downloadable thesis. [an INFLIBNET project]
- Indian Music Research Library: http://musicresearchlibrary.net/omeka/
- British Library, Endangered Archive Program
- Periodicals and Newspapers from Bengal | Universitat Heidelberg
- Early Bengali Periodicals on CrossAsia Digital Collection of the University of Heidelberg.
- Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Pune, launches an e-library consisting of a good collection of rare books and manuscripts.
- EAP341: Rescuing text: retrieval and documentation of printed books and periodicals from public institutions in eastern India published prior to 1950 – major project | British Library | Done by CSSSC, Kolkata
- Rare Book Society of India
- Knimbus aggregates the open-access ‘academic content’ and searches across enormous database of 13000+ journals, 3.4 million ebooks, 27000 online courses, millions of theses, presentations, scientific news articles and much more. Reach out!
- Open Access ProQuest. Here you can download open access dissertations and theses for free!
- Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/
- Music Research Web Library http://musicresearchlibrary.net
- Digital South Asia Library, University of Chicago http://dsal.uchicago.edu/index.html
- West Bengal Public Library Network Some books on music are here.
- Online Newspaper Archive [access on payment] 19th century to current
- A site on the Songs of Rabindranath Tagore
- Online Hindustani Music Resources compiled by Matt Rahaim
- Digitized Marathi Books
- EVIA Digital Archive: http://www.eviada.org/
- Ethnographic Video Online: http://anth.alexanderstreet.com/
- RILM International Repertory of Music Literature : http://bibliolore.org/2010/11/01/folkstreams/
- UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive http://guides.library.ucla.edu/ethno
- Reach about 2000 theses/dissertations in music uploaded by the University of Texas. You can read the abstracts and many of them are available in full-text.
- WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive http://icking-music-archive.org/index.php
- IMSLP Petrucci Music Library http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
- National Anthropological Archives, Human Studies Film Archives: http://www.nmnh.si.edu/naa/
- Harvard Film Archive: http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/
- British Library : World & Traditional Music: http://sounds.bl.uk/World-and-traditional-music
- British Library digitized field recordings http://sounds.bl.uk/
- Reel to Real: Sound at the Pitt Rivers Museum. Reel to Real is the archival sound project at the Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford.
- DER’s Jean Rouch Tribute Website (great A-V clips): http://der.org/jean-rouch/content/index.php
- Culture Unplugged: http://www.cultureunplugged.com/filmedia/index.php
- Top Documentary Films: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/
- Videotheque (based in France): http://videotheque.cnrs.fr/index.php
- once again, Folksteams: http://www.folkstreams.net/
- Taiwan National Music Archive [page in Thai] http://music.ncfta.gov.tw
- Brazil’s National Library http://www.bn.br/site/pages/bibliotecaDigital/passadomusical/script/PpmParametros.asp
- The Alan Lomax archive, at the Association for Cultural Equity website: http://research.culturalequity.org/audio-guide.jsp
- World Music Archives collection in Wesleyan University digital repository: http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/wma/
- Project Singing Wells on the tribal music of East Africa http://www.singingwells.org/
- ITMA Irish Traditional Music Archive http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/
DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES (not archives per se, but good sources for titles and filmmakers)
- Documentary Educational Resources: http://www.der.org/
- Filmmaker’s Library: http://www.filmakers.com/
- Third World Newsreel: http://www.twn.org/
- Innovative and Provocative Documentary Films on different subjects [including Films on Cultural Anthropology] Icarus Films:http://icarusfilms.com/subjects/cultanth.html
- EthnoDoc Cultural Organization (based in Italy): http://www.ethnodoc.org/index.php
- Visual Anthropology.net (good for visual anthro news and updates): http://www.visualanthropology.net/index.php
- An opening to Comparative Musicology http://compmus.org/
- Echo: A Music-Centered Journal is an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal created and edited by graduate students in the Department of Musicology at the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Musical Geographies of Central Asia Conference http://www.akdn.org/musical_geographies/default.asp
Last updated on 01.03.2021