|Name||Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay|
|Date of Birth||September 16, 1954|
|Snail mail||Department of Music, Sikkim University, 5th Mie, Tadong, PIN: 737102 [SIKKIM]|
|Permanent Address||3/1/1D Padmapukur Road, Kolkata 700092 [W.B.]|
|Email / Phoneemail@example.com | 9433230717 / 9163365904|
|Training||Pt. Radhika Mohan Maitra, Pt. Bimalendu Mukherjee, Pt. Peejush Prasanna Bandopadhyay, Pt. Manas Chakraborty. Also from Pt. Ajay Sinha Roy, Pt. D.T. Joshi, Pt. Shankar Ghosh.|
|AIR grade||Top Grade|
|Performances||Large music festivals in India, Bangladesh, European Countries, USA, Canada, South Africa, Mauritius, etc.|
|Discography||12 CDs including from the RPG-HMV and India Archive Music, USA.|
|Academic placements||Ustad Allauddin Khan Professor at Rabindra Bharati University. Currently Professor at the Sikkim University.|
|Important foreign assignments||Participation at UNESCO Conference, Finland; George A. Miller Visiting Professor, UIUC, USA; Artist in Residence at University of Chicago, Distinguished India Focussed Visitor at University of Alberta, Canada, etc.|
|Member of Committees||Served as Expert Member of many committees including the Music Audition Board, All India Radio; Executive Councils, Academic Councils and other committees in several universities including the University of Delhi, Banaras Hindu University, Visva Bharati to name a few.|
|Current status||Retired Professor of Instrumental Music [Ustd. Allauddin Khan Chair], Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, India. Earlier Reader at the Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh (C.G.)|
|Legacy to follow||Trained a number of renowned musicians and globe trotters including Pandit Kushal Das, Rajrupa Chowdhury, Troilee Dutta, Kalyanjit Das, Ayush Ghosh, etc.|
Bio-sketch of Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay
Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay is an exceptional combination of an outstanding Sitar virtuoso, eminent Guru and a thoughtful academician. This internationally reputed musician is especially known for his exemplary spontaneity in musical expressions. His music is always lively, fresh and new.
Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay received extensive training in sitar playing in Senia- Shahjehanpur, Imdadkhani, and Rampur-Senia gharanas. A beautiful synthesis of the practices and knowledge of these three very famous schools of music can be experienced through his sitar renderings. Professor Sanjoy had his major training in sitar playing from Pandit Radhika Mohan Maitra and Pandit Bimalendu Mukherjee. He started learning music with his father Pt. Peejush Prasanna Bandopadhyay. He also learnt with Pandit Manas Chakraborty, Dr. M.R. Gautam. He had special opportunities of having blessings through intensive musical interactions with Professor Dhruva Tara Joshi, Pandit Ajay Sinha Roy, Pandit Gajanan Rao Joshi and Pandit Shankar Ghosh.
Professor Sanjoy’s music gets widely featured in national and international TV and radio channels in India and other countries. He has been awarded prestigious ‘Top- Grade’ by the Director General, All India Radio. He has 12 audio CDs to his credit. These were published by different reputed music companies in India and the USA. He served as ‘Artist in Residence’ at the University of Chicago and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, USA.
He participated at the Plenary Session of UNESCO Conference and other important global and bilateral events. He was invited by the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign as the George A. Miller Visiting Professor. The University of Alberta invited him as Distinguished India Focus Visitor.
Before his recent appointment as Professor in Music at the Sikkim University, Pandit Bandopadhyay was the Ustad Alauddin Khan Professor of Instrumental Music at the Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata. Also, he was the Director of the S.M. Tagore Centre of Documentation & Research of Languishing & Obsolescent Musical Instruments, a research center in the same university and the Coordinator of the UGC SAP-DRS Research Project of the Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University. Earlier he also served the Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, the first Music University in Asia. He served there as a Reader.
Panditjee is proud that some of his disciples have proved to be exceptionally brilliant and established themselves as foremost musicians of Hindustani Music. This includes, Pandit Kushal Das, Rajrupa Chowdhury, Troilee Dutta, etc.
Detailed Bio-Data of Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay
1. GENERAL DETAILS
Name: Sanjoy Bandopadhyay
Father’s name: Pt. Peeyush Prasanna Bandopadhyay
Born: September 16 1954
Specialization: Hindustani Instrumental Music – Sitar
All India Radio grade: Top Grade
Current academic status: Retired Professor of Instrumental Music [Ustd. Allauddin Khan Chair], Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, India
2. TRAINING IN MUSIC
Main Frame Training
Rampur Senia/Imdadkhani: Pt. Peeyush Prasanna Bandopadhyay (since the age of six) Senia Shahjehanpur: Pt. Radhika Mohan Maitra (for 18 years)
Imdadkhani: Pt. Bimalendu Mukherjee
Vishnupur: Pt. Manas Chakraborty (Vocal music) Rangeela: Dr. M.R. Gautam (Rare raga-s) Rampur Senia: Late Pt. Ajay Sinha Roy (Sitar)
3. MUSIC PERFORMANCES
Performed in many important music festivals in most of the important cities in India and in many cities in different western countries. Performed in a number of National Programs of Music of All India Radio and Doordarshan. Top Grade artist of All India Radio.
- Tansen Sangeet Samaroha, Gwalior
- Ustd. Ameer Khan Memorial Music Conference, Indore
- Sadarang Sangeer Sammelan, Kolkata
- West Bengal State Music Academy Annual Music Conference
- India International Centre, New Delhi
- Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi
- Swami Sangeet Sammelan, Mumbai
- NCPA, Mumbai
- Film Awards Night, Mumbai
- Bangalore Sangeet Sabha, Bnagalore
- North Zone Culural Centre, Allahabad
- UP Sangeet Natak Academy, Lucknow
- Indian Music Group and Alliance Française, Mumbai
- Kala Prakash, Varanasi
- Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal
- Mehfil, Nagpur
- Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata
- Tarapada Memorial Music Conference, Kolkata
- Dover Lane Music Conference, Kolkata
- Madhya Pradesh Sangeet Samaroha, Indore
- Sangeet Samaj, Jabalpur and hundreds others.
- Extensive performance tour in France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Austria, in 1991
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi sponsored performance tour to Austria and France in 1998.
- Performances in Finland in 2001
- Performances in France, Belgium and Germany in 2003
- Performances in Berlin, Germany 
- Performance at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA 
- Performance at the University of Pennsylvania, USA 
- Performance in Edmonton, Canada 
- Performance at Moline, New York, Urbana-Champaign, Boston, Pennsylvania and other cities in the USA. 
- Musẻe Guimet, Paris 
- La Rochell, Toulouse and Marseille, France 
- Champaign, Chicago, Rochester, Springfield, New York, in the USA, 2005
- SABHA, Manhattan, Kansas State [USA], University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign [IL], Los Angeles [CA], University of Colorado at Colorado Springs [USA] in 2007.
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius, 2008
- UNISA [University of South Africa], sitar and inter-cultural concert.
- Performance in Chicago [USA] – 2009
- Performance in Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Vancouver [Canada] – 2010
- Performance at The Maverick at Woodstock [USA] with 2012 Grammy artist Steve Gorn-2013.
- Bethel Woods Center For The Arts [the famous Woodstock Festival venue, USA] Opening item for a musical tribute to the music legend Richie Havens with 2012 Grammy Artist Steve Gorn [flute] and Pt. Samir Chatterjee – 2013
- Performance in Colorado – 2013
- Performance at Ragamala, Calgary [Canada] with Pt. Samar Saha on the tabla – 2013
- Performed at the University of Michigan [USA]-2014
- Performed at Bothel, Washington [USA] – 2014
- Bengal Foundation Music Festival [Dhaka, Bangladesh] – 2016
- and many others
4. SPECIAL FEATURES IN THE MUSIC
Sanjoy has had the rare opportunity to learn under the doyen of such leading schools of instrumental music like, Senia-Shahjehanpur, Imdadkhani gharana, Rampur Senia gharana that ultimately helped him to develop a wide vision and as a result he could have the required inspirations for a distinctive style. His exceptional fluidity in raga elaboration, musical applications of simple and intricate laya designs in combination with skillful handling of the instrument gives the listeners a remarkable musical experience. He loves both popular and rare raga-s and use different tala-s for desired platforms for different desired musical expressions.
5. DISTINGUISHED ACADEMIC INVITATIONS
- Distinguished India-Focus Visitor, University of Alberta, Canada, 2004
- George A. Miller Visiting Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, 2005
- Artist in Residence at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, USA – 2007
- Visit to Mahatma Gandhi Institute [MGI] as Resource Person for Teachers’ Orientation, curricula review and general capacity building. – 2008
- ‘Musician in Residence’ at the University of Chicago, USA – 2009
- Participation as a representative from India at the Bilateral Indo-Canada conference at the University of Saskatchewan ‘Engaging India: A Multidisciplinary Symposium’- 2010
- ‘Visiting Scholar’ at the Department of Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign [USA] – 2013
- ‘Resident Scholar’ at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA – 2014.
6. DISTINGUISHED PARTICIPATION IN ACADEMIC EVENTS
- Participation at the Plenary Sessionof the UNESCO Conference, Finland, 2003
- Participation as special invitee at the International Conference of the German
Musicological Society, Germany, 2004.
- Participation as a representative from India at the Bilateral Indo-Canada
conference at the University of Saskatchewan ‘Engaging India: A Multidisciplinary Symposium’- 2010
7A. Commercial recordings
- RPG-HMV, India: one cassette/CD Album no. STCS 851203
- MP3.Com, USA: Three CD-s titled LUSCIOUS EVENING and YOGI, KING AND THE
GIRLS and TWILIGHT TO MIDNIGHT
- MOON MOODS: On Air Communications, India, 2004
- A Tribute to Mozart: Live in Vienna: On Air Communications, India, 2005
- Joy & Peace, Aitijhhya, Kolkata. 2007
- India Archive Music, Ltd., New York, USA, 2008 [Distribution worldwide]
- Hameer – An Evening in Love; Mee Records – 2010 [Distribution worldwide]
- Beauty Unleashed: Ragas on the Sitar; Mee Records – 2010 [Distribution worldwide]
- Husseini Kanada – The Majestic Vibrance; Mee Records – 2010 [Distribution worldwide]
- Saurashtra Bhairav; Mee Records – 2014 [Distribution worldwide]
- Anand Bhairav on Sitar, Mee Records [ISRC TCABW1462381]- 2010 [Distribution worldwide]
7B. Books & articles:
- Article titled Kya karen in Sangeet Sansthano ka in Saptahik Hindustan (leading Hindi
- periodical), Hindustan Times House, New Delhi (26 May – 6 June 1991)
- Article titled Sangeet Shikshan: Ek Chintan in Sangeet (leading music magazine in
Hindi), Hathras (June 1991)
- Contribution of Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya in perspective of Indian
Cultural Arena, Hindustan Times, 21 February 2001, Special Bhopal
Supplement [on special request from HT]
- Article titled Distance Education in Indian Music: Feasibility and
Prospects in Indian Musicological Society Journal 
- Peeping at Computational Musicology in Journal of the Department of Musicology,
Rabindra Bharati University.
- “Distance Education in Indian Music: Feasibility and Prospects” published in
‘Distance Education in Music’ Edited by Om Prakash Chaurasiya, Published by Kanishka Publishers, New Delhi, 2013, ISBN 978-81-8457-444-9 [page 01-08].- 2013
- ‘Musical Involvement, Preferences and Appreciation of Career in Music among Youth in Sikkim’ – in joint authorship Sanjoy Bandopadhyay and Samidha Vedabala – accepted for publication in International Education and Research Journal – IERJ (E-ISSN: 2454-9916) for March 2018 issue.
- Promoting Peace through Music in Cultures of peace: From Words to Deeds, Published from Institute of educational Research, University of Jyvãskylã, Finland 2003
- India, Music and Intercultural Interactions publication of the paper presented at the UNESCO Conference on Intercultural Education in Jyväskylä, Finland in June 2003
- Music and Music Star: Promotion and Musical Values, German Musicological Society, 2005
- ‘Effect of Indian ragas on the conditions of Heart’ jointly authored with Prof. Dilip Kumar Bhattacharya. International Seminar Proceedings, Banaras Hindu University – 2012
To know more please visit http://www.sanjoybandopadhyay.com/
8. SOME PRESENTATIONS
- A brief survey of the development of Vilambit compositions on the sitar: the dominating influence of the Masitkhani style, UGC Refresher Course for University Teachers, November 2000 [A National event]
- What is Good Music? : University Music Teachers’ Orientation Course, 2000, UGC Refresher Course for University Teachers, November 2000 [A National event]
- Teacher and the taught are singing the same song: Where 10 feet = 10000
miles!! [A paper on Music Informatics prepared for presentation at the Seminar held at IUCAA, Pune and organized by Mahatma Gandhi Antarashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya on “Informatics in Liberal Arts” under Caturang2001.].
- Career Orientation of Music Curricula, University of Allahabad, 2003
- Musicality Vs. Virtuosity [concept paper] SAA-uk, 2003 [Venue: British Council,
- Rhythm and Space in Hindustani Music, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2004
- A Brief Overview of The Impact of Increase in Hindustani Raag Music Students from Different Cross-Sections of the Society, The Instrumental Music Training System, and The Roles of Traditional and Institutionalized Teaching-Learning set-Ups with Focus to 1940~1960, ITC-Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata, 2005
- Music: A Way of Fostering the Culture of Peace, World Music Day, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, 2005
- Music as An Aid to Human Understanding, Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Golpark, Kolkata, 2006
- Impact of Promotion on musical values, Department of Musicology Seminar, Rabindra Bharati University, 2006
- Panelist, ITC-SRA Seminar, Kolkata
- ‘Music as an Aid to Human Understanding’ Ramakrihna Mission Center of Culture, Kolkata, 2007
- Panelist at the International Conference, ITC-SRA [Western Region], Mumbai, 2007
- Unity through Music: A Musician’s Perspective, Ramakrihna Mission Center of Culture, Kolkata, 2008
- Panelist in an International Conference arranged by the Banaras Hindu University and presented a joint paper with Prof. Dilip Bhattacharya, former Professor of Mathematics, University of Calcutta titled ‘Effect of Indian ragas on the conditions of Heart’.-2012
- Chaired the ‘Plenary Session’ of the International Conference of the Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University ‘Creating & Teaching Music Patterns’ – 2013
- Chaired a session of the UGC sponsored National Seminar of the Department of Instrumental Music, Rabindra Bharati University ‘Impact of Globalization on Indian Music” – 2014
- Presentation at the International seminar titled “Sonorous Texture” a seminar on Netcasting and Distance Education in Music at Kuhmo, Finland. This Science and Cultural exchange was a part of the information campaign “Culture 2001” organized by the Finnish Academy of Sciences.
- Raga and Time, Jyväskylä Academy, Finland, 2001
- India, Music and Intercultural Interactions presented at the UNESCO Conference on Intercultural Education in Jyväskylä, Finland in June 2003
- Promoting Peace Through Music, Pre-Conference [arranged by the UNESCO Chair] in Espoo, Finland, 2003.
- Treatments of Raga-s in Improvisation, University of Köln, Germany, 2003
- On Indian Music, St. Augustine College, Moline, USA
- On different aspects of Indian Music, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada [three presentations]
- On Indian Music at the University of Oklahoma, USA
- Presentation on Indian Music, Musẻe Guimet, Paris, France
- Teaching Traditional Music in a University Setting: The Challenge of Institutionalizing the Liberation of Creativity, CAS/Miller Distinguished Lecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, 2005
- Music and Music Star: Promotion and Musical Values, Workshop at theUniversity of Chicago, 2005
- An Indian Approach to Improvisation: Hindustani Raag Music, The College of New Jersey, USA, 2005
- Presentation on Indian Music, Drury University, USA, 2005
- Workshop at University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, USA, 2007
- Presentation at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, 2007
- Two seminars at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
- Seminars at the University of Cape Town, 2008
- Workshop at the Rhodes University, Grahamstown [South Africa]
- Workshop at The College of New Jersey and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in 2008
- Two seminars at the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia 2008.
- Presentation titled ‘Non-Indian Musical Instruments in Indian Raga Music : Selections and Inter-Effects’ at the University of Amsterdam International Conference in 2008.
- ‘Teaching Creativity: contents, tools, artistic logic and delivery’ at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign [USA] – 2013
- At the University of Michigan [USA]. Musicology Distinguished Lecture Series. ‘Improvisation on the Sitar: Traditional Knowledge and Free Expressions’– 2014
‘Fellowship to the outstanding persons in the field of Music, Plastic Arts, etc.’ from the Department of Culture, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
10. EXECUTED PROJECT
- Worked as the Project Initiator for initiating courses in Computer Music & Music Productions at the Indira Kala Sangeet University, Khairagarh; a pioneering program in this part of the continent. The project design has been completed in collaboration with Dr. Bernard Bel, Laboratoire Parole et Langage, ESA 6057 CNRS, Université de Provence, Aix-en-Provence, France; Prof. Richard Karpen, Director, Center for Advanced Research Technology in Arts & Humanities, University of Washington, Seattle (USA), and Prof. H.V. Sahasrabuddhe, Head, Department of Computer Science, University of Pune, Pune
- Worked on a multimedia documentation project titled Documentation of Music Performance Techniques of North Indian Plucked String Instruments of 20th Century: in MULTIMEDIA. The University Grants Commission, New Delhi, sponsored the project under their Major Research Project head.
- Collaborated with Ustd. Allauddin Khan Sangeet Academy, Government of Madhya Pradesh in mainframe planning for the International Seminar on “Distance Education in Indian Music: Feasibility and Prospects”.
- Standardization of Indian Classical Musical Instruments in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- Contributed as a member of a collaborative research project with University of Chicago, USA; Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany and SMB Museum, Berlin, Germany.
- Contributed as a member of the three city project in collaboration with eminent scholars from the University of Chicago, [USA], Leipzig University, Germany and S.M.B. Museum, Berlin [Germany].
- Co-investigator in the project ‘Stress management under Rabindra Sangeet’ with the principal Investigator Professor Dilip Kumar Bhattacharya, Emeritus Professor, Rabindra Bharati University [former Professor & Head, Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Calcutta]. The project was sponsored by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- Documentation of obsolescent musical instruments of the world and create a ‘Virtual Museum’ and a general and an interactive museum at the SMTC-DRLOMI, RBU, Kolkata.
- Working as Principal Investigator for the project ‘Indian Classical Music Mapping of Kolkata’ supported by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi under SAP-DRS.
12. FACULTY / UNIVERSITY RELATED MISCELLENEOUS ACTIVITIES
- Invited as Resource person in two UGC Refresher Courses on Music. [several courses in several universities]
- Invited for Lecture cum demonstration/visiting fellow by Delhi University, State Kala Academy: Goa-Daman-Diu, Allahabad University, Banaras Hindu University, etc.
- Invited as Expert for Teacher Selection Committee by Banaras Hindu University, Visva Bharati, M.S. University of Baroda, I.K.S. University, Khairagarh; Tripura University and others.
- Served as a Member, Executive Council, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
- Member, Faculty Council, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
- Served as an Expert Member, Academic Council, Bhatkhande Sangeet Vidyapeeth, Lucknow [Deemed university]
- Served as Expert Member, Research Committee, Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi.
- Served as Expert Member, Research Committee, Utkal University, Orissa
- Served as University Grants Commission nominated Expert Member for the Advisory Committee for Special Assistance program [DRS] of the Department of Music, University of Delhi.
- Served twoterms as a member of Academic Council of the Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University.
- Member of Executive Council of Sikkim University [a Central University].
- Member of School Board and Board of Studies of Sikkim University.
13. OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Inspired the use of IT in the department. As a result almost all the faculty members are using IT based tools for academic and administrative purposes.
- Created a highly informative MPhil/PhD support page with links to important databases in the country and around the world reaching huge volume of research resources. This is available as page in the Department’s website http://www.im.rbu.ac.in/
- Conceptualization, designing, uploading and maintaining with very frequent updates of two websites; (1) the Department of Instrumental Music, RBU http://www.im.rbu.ac.in/ (2) the site of S.M. Tagore Centre of Research http://www.smtagorecentre.com/
- Initiated Audio Digitization and Archiving of the available audio recordings in the department with the participation of students.
- Initiated Text Digitization [Books] and Archiving of the available audio recordings in the department with the participation of students.
14. REFERENCES IN DIFFERENT BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORIES
- Who’s Who of Madhya Pradesh published from Bhopal.
- Global Directory of Hindustani and Carnatic Musicians and dancers published
- Who’s Who of Indian musicians by U.P. Sangeet Natak Academy, Lucknow.
- 5000 Personalities of the World (1997) published by American Biographical Institute, North Carolina, USA
- International Directory of Distinguished Leadership (1998 and mid-1999) published by American Biographical Institute, North Carolina, USA
- Asian/American Who’s Who (1998, 2001, 2005) published by Rifacimento International, New Delhi
- Reference Asia: Asia’s Who’s Who of Men & Women of Achievement published by Refacimento International, New Delhi 2003]
- Afro-Asian Who’s Who  published by Rifacimento International, New Delhi
- and many others.
15. POSTAL ADDRESS AND TELE/ELECTRONIC CONTACTS
Pandit Sanjoy Bandopadhyay, 3/1/1D, Padmapukur Road, Kolkata 700092 [West Bengal]
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org URL: http://www.sanjoybandopadhyay.com
Phone: +91 9433230717 and 9163365904